Royal T Home Inspection, LLCWebsite: http://www.RoyalT.xyz
Phone: (703) 910-3251
Inspector: Troy Vogt
||Jeremy and Brandalee Cooper
||3713 W Glen Dower Drive
Fredericksburg, VA 22408
||Thursday, July 07, 2016
This report published on Thursday, July 07, 2016 4:35:09 AM EDT
This summary report is intended to provide a convenient and cursory preview of the more significant conditions and components that were identified within the full report as needing repairs or corrective actions. It is obviously not comprehensive and should not be used as a substitute for reading the entire report, nor is it a tacit endorsement of the conditions of components or features that do not appear in this summary. Our recommendations should be completed before the close of escrow by licensed specialists, who may identify additional problems and may recommend some upgrades that could affect your evaluation of the property.
This summary and report is the exclusive property of Royal T Home Inspection, LLC and the client(s) whose name appears herewith, and its use by unauthorized persons is prohibited.
- Risers for stairs at one or more locations were higher than 7 3/4 inches and posed a fall or trip hazard. Risers should be 7 3/4 inches or shorter. At a minimum, be aware of this hazard, especially when guests who are not familiar with the stairs are present. Recommend that a qualified contractor repair per standard building practices.
Exterior and Foundation
- Some sections of siding and/or trim were deteriorated and/or damaged. Recommend that a qualified person repair, replace or install siding or trim as necessary.
-Keep wood components painted/protected to prevent further deterioration.
Attic and Roof Structure
- One or more sections of the roof structure appeared to have substandard ventilation, vents were undersized. This can result in high attic and roof surface temperatures, reduce the life of the roof covering materials, and/or increase cooling costs. High levels of moisture are also likely to accumulate in the roof structure or attic, and can be a conducive condition for wood-destroying organisms. Standard building practices require one free square foot of ventilation for every 150 square feet of attic space, and that vents be evenly distributed between the lowest points of the roof structure and the highest points to promote air circulation. Often this means that both soffit vents and ridge or gable end vents are installed. Recommend that a qualified contractor evaluate and repair per standard building practices.
-Consider adding attic fan to correct
- One or more attic access hatches or doors were not insulated, or had substandard insulation. Weatherstripping was also missing or substandard. Recommend installing weatherstripping and insulation per current standards at hatches or doors for better energy efficiency. For more information, visit:http://www.reporthost.com/?ATTACC
- One or more electric receptacles (outlets) and/or the boxes in which they were installed were loose and/or not securely anchored. Wire conductors can be damaged due to repeated movement and/or tension on wires, or insulation can be damaged. This is a shock and fire hazard. Recommend that a qualified electrician repair as necessary.
Plumbing / Fuel Systems
- One or more hose bibs (outside faucets) were not evaluated due to their being winterized with covers. They are excluded from this inspection.
-Rear of house
Heating, Ventilation and Air Condition (HVAC)
- Recommend replacing or washing HVAC filters upon taking occupancy depending on the type of filters installed. Regardless of the type, recommend checking filters monthly in the future and replacing or washing them as necessary. How frequently they need replacing or washing depends on the type and quality of the filter, how the system is configured (e.g. always on vs. "Auto"), and on environmental factors (e.g. pets, smoking, frequency of house cleaning, number of occupants, the season).
Fireplaces, Stoves, Chimneys and Flues
- The gas fireplace or stove was not fully evaluated because the pilot light was off. The inspector only operates normal controls (e.g. on/off switch or thermostat) and does not light pilot lights or operate gas shut-off valves. Recommend that the client review all documentation for such gas appliances and familiarize themselves with the lighting procedure. If necessary, a qualified specialist should assist in lighting such appliances, and make any needed repairs.
Bathrooms, Laundry and Sinks
- Inoperable stopper
- Caulk was missing around the base of the bathtub spout, or there was a gap behind it, at location(s) #A. Water may enter the wall structure behind the bathtub. Recommend that a qualified person repair as necessary to eliminate the gap. For example, by installing or replacing caulk if the gap is small enough. For larger gaps, a shorter spout nipple or an escutcheon plate can be installed.
-2nd floor hallway bathroom
- Gaps, no caulk, or substandard caulking were found between the bathtub and the floor at location(s) #A and B. Water may penetrate these areas and cause damage. Recommend that a qualified person re-caulk or install caulking as necessary.
- The sink at location(s) #B drained slowly. Recommend clearing drain and/or having a qualified plumber repair if necessary.
- The clothes dryer exhaust duct was disconnected in one or more places. Clothes dryers produce large amounts of moisture which should not enter structure interiors. Moisture can accumulate and result in mold, bacteria or fungal growth. Recommend that a qualified person make permanent repairs as necessary. For more information, visit:http://www.reporthost.com/?DRYER
Interior, Doors and Windows
- Minor cracks, nail pops and/or blemishes were found in walls and/or ceilings in one or more areas. Cracks and nail pops are common, are often caused by lumber shrinkage or minor settlement, and can be more or less noticeable depending on changes in humidity. They did not appear to be a structural concern, but the client may wish to repair these for aesthetic reasons. For recurring cracks, consider using an elastic crack covering product:http://www.reporthost.com/?ECC
- Mold like substance was found on doors in basement. Caused by water leaking from HVAC.
- Stains were found in one or more ceiling areas. However, no elevated levels of moisture were found. The stain(s) may be due to past roof and/or plumbing leaks.Consult with the property owner and monitor the stained area(s) in the future, especially after heavy or prolonged rain. If elevated moisture is found in the future, then recommend that a qualified contractor evaluate and repair as necessary.
-Kitchen/dining room ceiling